B.N.Sc. Nursing Science
Programme Duration : 5 years
The Bachelor of Nursing Science designed to produce professional nurses who function in the health care team of professionals. The degree programme also prepares students for the necessary skills, knowledge and attitudes for the promotion of health prevention of illness, restoration of health and alleviation of suffering.
The objectives of the curriculumare to:
- (a) preparestudents with a sound educational programme in nursing to enable them functionas efficient members of the health team;
- (b) trainstudents to develop an ability to cooperate and coordinate with members of the healthteam in the preparation for diseases control, promotion of health andrehabilitation of the sick;
Thephilosophy of the Bachelor of Nursing Science is hinged on the followingbeliefs:
- i. Mankindis a unique bio-psycho-socio-cultural and spiritual being always in constantinteraction with the environment. These interactions affect individuals,population groups and societal health;
- ii. Theprofessional nursing programme assumes the caring role in the promotion ofhealth, prevention of diseases, restoration of health, alleviation of sufferingand when recovery is not possible in assisting patients towards peaceful death;
- iii. TheB.N.Sc programme collaborates with other members of the health and othersectors to achieve quality healthcare;
- iv. Theprogramme believes in working with individuals, families, population groups,community and society in ensuring active participation in the delivery ofholistic health care;
- v. Theprogramme believes in a strong liberal Arts and Sciences education with amulti-disciplinary approach. The B.N.Sc programme aims at preparing a nurse whoupon completion of the course demonstrates professional competencies andcontinue to assume responsibility for professional development and utilizesresearch findings in the practice of the profession;
- vi. Professionalnursing education is built upon a theoretical base that seeks to developcontinuous self-directed practitioners who will advance and set knowledge onwhich practice is based. Current health care demands require an innovativeapproach in professional preparation and a curriculum that is responsible tothe changing health needs of the society and,
- vii. TheDepartment of Nursing should have the greatest concern for service through highstandards of scholarship and personal character. The ultimate purpose being theadvancement of public welfare and culture through wider and deeper knowledge,finer skills, and broader appreciation of human values and the African culturalheritage.
- Candidates seeking admission into the Bachelor of Nursing Science Programme must satisfy general entry requirement of Elizade University as well as special entry requirement for B.N.Sc degree which are as follows:
- 1. Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME). The Admission requirements are as follows:
- (a) Pass at credit level in five subjects; English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at G.C.E (Ordinary Level), Senior Secondary School Certificate or National Examination Council (NECO) not more than two sittings. An acceptable level at the Universal Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) conducted by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board Examination.
- (b) UTME subjects must include use of English Language, Biology, Physics and Chemistry.
- (c) Acceptable level in the Post-UTME examination and /or the interview to be conducted.
- 2. Direct Entry
Candidates for Direct Entry into 200 level must:
- (a) obtain acceptable passes at the IJMB, JUPEB, International Baccalaureate, WAEC and Cambridge ‘A’ level examinations in at least two science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Human Nutrition and General Science) at not more than two sittings in addition to fulfilling the requirements in (1a) above.
- (b) be a registered Nurse or Midwife in addition to fulfilling the requirement in (1a) above. Any post-basic Nursing Diploma is an added advantage.
- (c) have a degree in Microbiology, Biology, Physiology, Anatomy or Biochemistry at all level not below a Second Class Lower division
- 3. Transfer to B.N.Sc.
Students can be accepted on transfer into 200 level from degree programmes in the Faculties of Science, Basic Medical and Health Sciences and Agricultural Sciences provided they meet the minimum entry qualification and have a minimum of CGPA 3.0. In addition to fulfilling the requirement in (1a) above. Candidates will be allowed to transfer from other National universities commission (NUC) approved Universities only to 100 level.